In July 1884, Harvey Wakefield died, leaving a
bequest of about $10,000 to the Town of Winchester.
After much deliberation, it was decided it should
be used to build a road around Highland Lake. The
Boulevard was let out to bid in sections beginning
on the west side.
On the completion of the second section of the drive, extending the road to Sucker Brook, a bronze tablet was placed on the face of the ledge in Second Bay bearing the following inscription:
"A tribute to remembrance to Harvey Wakefield, a citizen of Winchester, in grateful recognition of his bequest to the Town, which has enabled it to provide for public use this Lakeside Drive."
By the summer of 1888 it was completed to "Hatch's Landing" or what is known today as Cameron Point. Later on it was finished along the east shore.
Back to Home Page