About the Highland Lake Watershed Association
The Highland Lake Watershed Association, Inc. is a voluntary organization made up of residents and friends of Highland Lake. The origins of HLWA began in 1959 when a group of lake residents became concerned about control of the lake water level. HLWA became incorporated in 1993 and is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Our members look to us for collaborative and effective solutions for the preservation of the lake and watershed to make a positive difference in the lake water quality. HLWA is able to do this because of the dedication of time and effort of our volunteers and the dues and donations of our members and friends.
OUR MISSION is to encourage the restoration and conservation of the natural resources of the Highland Lake Watershed as well as to protect and conserve fish and wildlife, forest and other plant life, water sources and soils. We promote the understanding among citizens of the Town of Winchester of the need for such restoration and conservation to provide a legacy for the future.
How does HLWA do this?
- Works with local authorities to benefit residents, maintain water quality and safety
- Conducts monthly water sampling and testing April through November
- Raises money to protect & preserve water quality and natural resources of the watershed
- Created Legacy Program which acquires land in the watershed to preserve open space and reduce water run off
- Sponsors events like “Evening on Highland Lake,” Boat Parade, Meet the Board
- Holds an Annual Membership meeting in July
- Supports the Winchester Police Department Marine Patrol Division
- Organizes spring and fall cleanup campaigns to pick up trash from lakeside roads
- Educates, informs and updates area residents with Highland Lake News, website, Facebook and email
- Participates in local philanthropic events such as the Penguin Plunge to benefit CT Special Olympics, Bubbles and Truffles to benefit Friends of Main Street, and the Town’s Laurel Festival
- Welcomes new neighbors to the community
- Remains open to new ideas that will help HLWA continue to fulfill its mission
Why should you join HLWA?
To get involved in making a difference and improving the quality of life around the lake. To meet your neighbors, to make new friends, to share ideas. Participate in special events where you can socialize and exchange ideas while raising funds to promote the focus and mission of HLWA. Get educated on what keeps a lake and watershed clean, healthy and conducive to many more years of beauty and enjoyment.
Help us continue the work – become a member & volunteer